You might associate wasps with the tiny little blighters that pester you when trying to eat picnics, but these sting-laden insects are in fact very intriguing.
Here are ten awesome facts about one of the most maligned pests in the animal kingdom:
- Unlike their bee cousins, wasps don’t swarm.
- Some species of wasp are known to strip the bark from trees. This can cause great damage to different types of trees, bushes and shrubs.
- Some wasps feed their offspring meat in the form of insect larvae.
- Wasp workers (infertile wasps) only live for 12 to 22 days, which is longer than drones (fertile males). Queens, however, have an average lifespan of a year.
- The venom of the wasp contains a pheromone that causes fellow members of the colony to become more aggressive and attack. This is why you should try and avoid swatting a wasp that is near its nest or other wasps.
- Though wasp stings hurt, its effect should wear off over a day. A small minority of people, however, are allergic to wasp venom and can die from anaphylactic shock.
- If you are stung by a wasp, you can treat it with an ordinary deodorant that likely contains aluminium.
- Like ants and termites, wasps live in colonies that follow a rigid caste order of queens, males and females.
- The male wasp is called a drone and its only job is to mate with a queen so that she can give birth the everyone in the colony. Once a male has done this (or failed in the attempt) it will die soon after.
- A wasp colony produces queens and males in the summer. At the same time, all the queens and males fly into the sky to mate. The vast majority of males will fail to find a mate but the one that does will heir a future colony when the fertilised queen starts to build a new one.
We at Eliminate Solutions know that pests can be a nightmare in and around your home and can even be potentially harmful to you and your family. If you own a business, an infestation could be a disaster for your company! Thankfully, you can trust Elimate Solutions to help with your bee, hornet and wasp control, anytime you need us. We also have huge expertise in bedbugs, birds, cockroaches, falconry, squirrel and moles.
We’re proud to say that we are available 24 hours of the day, seven days of the week. Severe infestations can be damaging to businesses and can have a knock-on effect not only to your walk-in customers – but nearby businesses as well. If you’re based in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or the surrounding Scotland area and need assistance controlling wasp, bees or hornets nests, get in touch with the pest control services team at Eliminate Solutions today. Contact us on 0800 731 1164 or email us here.